Man Booker Prize 2012 Longlist Announced
The contenders for this year’s Man Booker Prize have been announced, not without the usual controversy. Accused last year for “dumbing” down the award for putting a focus on “readability” this year the judges choices “appeared to support ambition and experiment” (Gaby Wood, The Telegraph), were to be applauded for favouring eccentricity (Justine Jordan, The Guardian) or are damned for being biased (The Guardian). The judges this year are Bharat Tandon (academic, writer and reviewer), Dinah Birch (academic and literary critic), Sir Peter Stothard (newspaper editor), Amanda Foreman (historian) and Dan Stevens (from Downton Abbey).
- Nicola Barker – The Yips
- Ned Beauman – The Teleportation Accident
- Andre Brink – Philida
- Tan Twan Eng – The Garden of Evening Mists
- Michael Frayn – Skios
- Rachel Joyce – The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
- Deborah Levy – Swimming Home
- Hilary Mantel – Bring Up the Bodies
- Alison Moore – The Lighthouse
- Will Self – Umbrella
- Jeet Thayil – Narcopolis
- Sam Thompson – Communion Town
Anyone read anything on the list? I’ve only read Bring Up the Bodies and The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, both of which I would recommend.