Costa Book Awards 2011 Category Winners
The winners of the various categories in the Costa Book Awards were announced in the UK overnight.
The winner in each category receives £5,000. From these category winners the Costa Book of the Year 2011 will be chosen, the winner receiving a further £30,000. The Costa Book of the Year 2011 will be announced on 24th January 2012.
Costa Biography Award
- Now All Roads Lead to France : the last years of Edward Thomas by Matthew Hollis ~ an account of the last five years of the life of author Edward Thomas and his friendship with poet Robert Frost and his decision to fight in WWI
- Judges comments: “dramatic and engrossing“
Costa Novel Award
- Pure by Andrew Miller ~ set in Paris 1785
- Judges comments: Created a “structurally and stylistically flawless historical novel”
Costa First Novel Award
- Tiny Sunbirds Far Away by Christie Watson ~ this first novel by children’s nurse Watson is set in the Niger Delta.
- Judges comments: “readability and literary merit go hand in hand in this vibrant gem of a novel.”
Costa Poetry Award
- The Bees by Carol Ann Duffy ~ Carol Ann Duffy is the Poet Laureate in Britain.
- Judges comments: “We were thrilled by the poet’s musical feeling for language and her spellbinding ability to combine naturalness and formal complexity. It’s a joyful collection.”
Costa Children’s Book Award
- Blood Red Road by Moira Young ~ currently being adapted for film.
You can read about the Costa Book Award 2011 shortlist here.
Posted on January 4, 2012, in Uncategorized and tagged Children's fiction, Costa Book Awards, Fiction, Literary Prizes, Poetry. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Costa Book Awards 2011 Category Winners.