Diagram Prize shortlist
The Diagram Prize is awarded by The Bookseller magazine each year to the book with the oddest title. The prize began in 1978 as a way of alleviating boredom at the Frankfurt Book Fair with Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice its inaugural winner.
The 2012 shortlisted titles are :
- A Century of Sand Dredging in the Bristol Channel: Volume Two by Peter Gosson ~ documents the sand trade from its inception in 1912 to the present day, focusing on the Welsh coast.
- Cooking with Poo by Saiyuud Diwong ~ a Thai cookbook. “Poo” is Thai for “crab” and is Diwong’s nickname.
- Estonian Sock Patterns All Around the World by Aino Praakli ~ styles of socks and stockings found in Estonian knitting.
- The Great Singapore Penis Panic: And the Future of American Mass Hysteria by Scott D Mendelson ~ analysis of the “Koro” psychiatric epidemic that hit Singapore in 1967.
- Mr Andoh’s Pennine Diary: Memoirs of a Japanese Chicken Sexer in 1935 Hebden Bridge by Stephen Curry and Takayoshi Andoh ~ the story of Koichi Andoh, who travelled from Japan to Yorkshire in the 1930s to train workers at a hatchery business the art of determining the sex of one-day-old chicks.
- A Taxonomy of Office Chairs by Jonathan Olivares ~ exhaustive overview of the evolution of the modern office chair.
- The Mushroom in Christian Art by John A Rush ~ the author postulates that Jesus is a personification of the Holy Mushroom, Amanita Muscaria.
The prize winners for this prize are voted for by the public. Cast your vote by clicking here.
The winner will be announced on 30th March 2012.