St Patrick’s Day quiz: Test your Irish literary knowledge (courtesy of the March edition of Good Reading magazine).
- “I can resist anything but temptation” were the cheeky words of which Irish playright?
- Which rebellious female Irish writer, born 1930, had her books banned and burned in Ireland due to their explicit descriptions of the sex lives of their characters?
- Irish writer Abraham “Bram” Stoker was responsible for the creation of which fiendish count?
- Which Irish dramatist and winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1925 became a vegetarian at age 25?
- Which 3 Irish authors have bridges in Dublin named in their honour?
- The term yahoo, meaning a crude brutish person, originated in which novel by Irish satirist Jonathan Swift?
- Which famous Irish poet (1865-1939), who had a penchant for the supernatural, experimented with automatic writing together with his wife in the early years of their marriage?
- ‘Tis and Teacher Man are the sequels to whic Frank McCourt title?
- The spooky In a Glass Darkly is the creation of which Irish author who defined the ghost-story genre?
- Watermelon andThis Charming Man are the creations of which female Irish author?