The New South Wales Government’s Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) has made available to libraries Save Power Kits which enable you to identify the biggest users of electricity in your home and gives simple ideas for reducing energy use.
- A ‘How to Use the Power Kit’ book
- Power Mate Lite which measures the amount of power used by an electrical appliance and estimates how much that appliance would cost to run for a specified amount of time
- Stopwatch to time yourself in the shower
- Infrared thermometer to measure the surface temperature of objects from a distance so heat lost/gained can be measured
- Thermometer (ordinary one) to measure room, fridge and freezer temperatures
- Compass to identify north and west facing rooms that get more warmth from the sun.
In addition, each borrower will get a worksheet and an Action Plan for future action in the home to reduce power consumption.
The Save Power Kits contain some expensive pieces of equipment so will be kept at the circulation desk at each library branch. The pieces in the Save Power Kits will be counted and checked that they are in good working order each time they are returned. The Save Power Kits can be borrowed for 3 weeks like most other library materials. The Save Power Kits can be reserved like other library materials.
Check the Office of Environment and Heritage website for more information.